The backcountry skiers hit by a huge avalanche near Lake Tahoe took the most dangerous route to escape the mountain, reports say.
The 11 skiers and four guides are said to have opted for terrain that was more at risk of snow slides than longer exit paths, it was claimed.
It comes as cops and the state launched separate investigations into whether any criminal negligence was involved and whether the tour organizers were at fault.
Here are the latest stories on the California Avalanche:
Eight people were killed in the avalanche at Castle Peak, near Truckee, on Tuesday, with another still missing and presumed dead.
The skiers are believed to have headed northwest from Frog Lake huts towards interstate 80 just before lunch time on Tuesday, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
The path is said to have a “complex” 60 degree incline and was given the second highest rating on the avalanche risk scale, the Truckee Donner Land Trust website says.
But, according to the Chronicle, there was a longer, flatter route they could have taken that was graded as the second lowest threat of snow slides.
Blackbird Mountain Guides, which organized the trip, said in a previous statement “guides in the field are in communication with senior guides at our base, to discuss conditions and routing based upon conditions.”
It added: “There is still a lot that we’re learning about what happened. It’s too soon to draw conclusions, but investigations are underway.”
Jim Zellers, who regularly visits the huts, warned the route they took may have been the best option given the circumstance.
He admitted there was a higher risk of avalanche on the path they took, but revealed the other way was harder to navigate in whiteout conditions.
He added: “You cannot start judging. It’s a terrible place to go. Those of us who are experienced are just sad, the less experienced are judging.”
The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday said it was launching an investigation into whether there was any criminal negligence during the disaster.
Meanwhile California’s workplace safety agency Cal/OSHA initiated a separate probe into Blackbird Mountain Guides.
Six women have so far been identified in the tragedy, named as Carrie Atkin, Kate Morse, Danielle Keatley, Caroline Sekar, Kate Vitt and Liz Claubaugh.
Six others, including five women and a man aged 30 to 55, were rescued from the mountain on Wednesday.
Read the full article here






