Close Menu
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
Trending
Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
Trending Topics:
  • US Election
  • Donald Trump
  • Kamala Harris
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Ukraine War
  • Israel War
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
Sports

NCAA D1 Board Has No plans To Change Age-Based Eligibility Rule

News RoomBy News RoomJuly 25, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email
NCAA D1 Board Has No plans To Change Age-Based Eligibility Rule
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors doubled down Thursday on the new age-based eligibility rule that has prompted some athletes to go to court in hopes of extending their college careers.

The Division I Cabinet, which approved the new rule last month, issued a similar statement last month after a group of basketball players filed a lawsuit in an Ohio state court contending the age-based model unfairly shuts them out of further competition. More lawsuits have been filed across the country since, some of them reportedly with their coaches’ encouragement.

The board statement indicates it won’t budge from its stance like it did when, in response to former Vanderbilt quarterback Diego Pavia’s 2024 court win, it granted an additional year to athletes who had competed at non-NCAA schools for at least one season and were set to complete their eligibility.

“We are encouraged by the Division I membership’s broad support of the age-based eligibility rules,” the board said Thursday. “The design of the new rules, including its implementation strategy, was thoughtful and well-informed, and was unanimously supported by the Cabinet, including its student-athlete members.

“The Board has no plans to modify their application, notwithstanding a series of lawsuits recently filed on behalf of student-athletes with no remaining eligibility. We look forward to ensuring that the age-based eligibility rules are enforced consistently so that all institutions play by the same rules, like all participants in sports.”

The age-based eligibility rule allows athletes five seasons of competition over a five-year period that begins with their full-time enrollment or the academic year following their 19th birthday, whichever occurs first. The move all but eliminates waivers or redshirt years for extended eligibility except for religious missions, pregnancy or active-duty military service. Extensions will no longer be considered for athletes who are injured.

Athletes whose eligibility expired by spring 2026 under the traditional model — four years of competition over five years — will not be allowed a fifth year of competition under the new rules that go into effect this fall.

That was the impetus for the first lawsuit, in Ohio. A judge granted a preliminary injunction that allowed the players to enter the transfer portal and the case now heads to trial. Athletes in other cases across the country also have won preliminary injunctions.

Earlier this week, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said the conference ended up supporting the rule despite some leaders’ misgivings about its timing. Sankey said there was a thought that the Protect College Sports Act currently circulating in the Senate could solve the problem. He also said the conference wasn’t presented with data to justify the change.

“We got on a fast track in this environment because … people are looking for solutions,” he said in an interview with The Associated Press. “That doesn’t mean there are solutions, but it’s just ‘Oh, what we’re doing isn’t working. There’s so many waivers, there’s so much controversy about eligibility, this must be better.’ But we’re not sure if it is.”

Reporting by the Associated Press.

Read the full article here

Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link

Related News

Saints first-round pick Jordyn Tyson could miss 2 months with hamstring injury from training camp

Saints first-round pick Jordyn Tyson could miss 2 months with hamstring injury from training camp

August 18, 2026
New champions alter WWE landscape while NXT newcomer makes his presence known with authority

New champions alter WWE landscape while NXT newcomer makes his presence known with authority

August 17, 2026
Jets fans breathe sigh of relief after practice scare for M star running back

Jets fans breathe sigh of relief after practice scare for $43M star running back

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Latest News
Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

Jennifer Lawrence’s Slouchy Purse Is the Cool Mom Trend We’re Copying This Summer for

Jennifer Lawrence’s Slouchy Purse Is the Cool Mom Trend We’re Copying This Summer for $21

Trending
Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

Trump endorses replacement GOP nominee Jennifer Balkcom after Chuck Edwards ends re-election bid

August 18, 2026
Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

Suspect wearing Chucky mask allegedly harasses six people, asks female jogger ‘Are you ready to die?’

August 18, 2026
Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

Nancy Guthrie ransom notes contain repeated writing quirks that could help identify suspect, expert says

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.