Close Menu
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
Trending
New B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

New $2B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

State Farm to pay a B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

State Farm to pay a $5B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Subscribe
Trending Topics:
  • US Election
  • Donald Trump
  • Kamala Harris
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Ukraine War
  • Israel War
Get on News
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Finance
  • Lifestyle
  • Sports
  • More Articles
World

German officials want to know why Berlin attack suspect was free despite alleged ISIS support

News RoomBy News RoomJuly 27, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email
German officials want to know why Berlin attack suspect was free despite alleged ISIS support
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

In the wake of the recent violent attack in Berlin near a pride festival, German officials are left to contend with the questions surrounding why suspect Abdul Ballout was free to perpetrate the assault despite his recent conviction related to supporting ISIS.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz on Monday wished to know how the violent assault could have been prevented.

“We must do everything to protect people in Germany as best possible from such criminals, from dangerous people who for whatever reason can’t be taken into custody,” Merz said, according to The Associated Press.

German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt told public broadcaster ZDF during an interview that in light of the 21-year=old suspect’s conviction and record of backing the Islamic State, it did not make sense that the man was roaming free.

“You can assume that it certainly would have made sense to put this person in custody,” he noted, according to the report.

BERLIN PRIDE ATTACK SUSPECT KILLED IN POLICE CONFRONTATION: AP

Berlin Mayor Kai Wegner told regional broadcaster RBB in an interview that while he did not wish to question the independence of the court system, when it comes to the matter of this attack, “words fail me.”

The suspect in the recent Berlin attack went to Lebanon last year with the goal of traveling to Syria to join ISIS, according to an English translation of a joint release from the Berlin Public Prosecutor’s Office and the Berlin Court of Appeal, which noted that the man “was born and raised in Berlin and is a German citizen.”

The attack on Saturday night left one dead and 29 injured, according to the AP, which reported that 21-year-old Abdul Ballout is suspected of plowing a van into people near a pride festival prior to apparently slashing people with a machete in what authorities think was a terror attack.

The suspect was killed by authorities on Sunday.

“According to current information, the 21-year-old allegedly attacked the special forces officers with a bladed weapon, whereupon they used their firearms,” an English translation of a July 26 joint press release from the Berlin Police and public prosecutor’s office noted. “The man suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene. The investigation is ongoing.”

ISIS POISED TO EXPLOIT HISTORIC US IRAQ EXIT, TERROR GROUP ‘ACTIVELY WAITING IN THE GAPS,’ EXPERT WARNS

Police officers stand near a vehicle crashed into a tree in Berlin.

Earlier this year, a Berlin juvenile court convicted Ballout of preparing a serious act of violence endangering the state, and publishing propaganda supporting ISIS.

A news release from the Berlin Public Prosecutor’s Office and Berlin Court of Appeal said the court sentenced Ballout to one year and 10 months in youth custody before prosecutors appealed.

Officials have stated that the man was granted a suspended sentence, but the news release states: “The decision regarding the suspension of this sentence on probation was deferred for six months pursuant to Section 57 in conjunction with Section 61 Paragraph 1 of the Juvenile Courts Act. The court also imposed various conditions on Abdul B., including placing him under the supervision of a probation officer. The court lifted the existing arrest warrant, as pretrial detention primarily serves to secure the criminal proceedings and does not constitute a prejudicial punishment.”

FBI ARRESTS 3 MEN WHO ALLEGEDLY PLEDGED ALLEGIANCE TO ISIS, FUNDED DRONE ATTACKS TARGETING US TROOPS OVERSEAS

Emergency personnel and police gather in Berlin following Christopher Street Day cancellation.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The news release noted that the case was not over, given that the appeals process had yet to play out.

“This conviction is not yet legally binding, as the Berlin Public Prosecutor’s Office has filed an appeal. The Public Prosecutor’s Office had requested a longer, non-probationary sentence for a juvenile and the continuation of the arrest warrant,” the release noted.

Read the full article here

Follow on Google News Follow on Flipboard
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link

Related News

Iran’s gutted ranks leave loyalists filling critical posts — with one glaring problem

Iran’s gutted ranks leave loyalists filling critical posts — with one glaring problem

August 18, 2026
South Korean president jumps to invest in military after Trump cuts joint exercises

South Korean president jumps to invest in military after Trump cuts joint exercises

August 18, 2026
Spanish journalist says Ceuta residents believe government isn’t doing enough to prevent another migrant rush

Spanish journalist says Ceuta residents believe government isn’t doing enough to prevent another migrant rush

August 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Latest News
New B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

New $2B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

State Farm to pay a B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

State Farm to pay a $5B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

Jay Shetty Mourns ‘Brave’ Hayden Panettiere After Conducting 1 of Her Final Interviews

Jay Shetty Mourns ‘Brave’ Hayden Panettiere After Conducting 1 of Her Final Interviews

Trending
New B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

New $2B LA skyscraper announced for innovative senior housing project

August 18, 2026
State Farm to pay a B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

State Farm to pay a $5B dividend back to auto policyholders — here’s how to see if you qualify

August 18, 2026
Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

Accused murderer who fled US during 48-hour pass had access to taxpayer-funded apartment

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.

Advertisement
Demo
Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest TikTok Instagram
2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.