Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s forthcoming move back to the United Kingdom is a “private matter,” according to Prime Minister Andy Burnham.
Burnham, 56, told the BBC on Thursday, August 20, that the security arrangements for Harry, 41, Meghan, 45, and their two children were “private.” (Harry and Meghan share son Prince Archie, 7, and daughter Princess Lilibet, 5.)
“It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan,” Burnham stated. “We wish them well in the move that they are making.”
Multiple outlets — including the BBC, The Telegraph and The New York Times — reported on Wednesday, August 19, that Harry and Meghan are relocating back across the pond. (The Duke and Duchess of Sussex left England for California in 2020 after stepping down from their duties as senior working royals.)
Neither Harry nor Meghan have publicly addressed their move. Us reached out for comment.
Harry’s father, King Charles III, was made aware of the decision on Sunday, August 16. There are no plans at the moment for the Sussexes to resume their working roles.
According to the BBC, Archie and Lili are already enrolled at a British school for the fall despite Meghan’s previous hesitations.
“I have a problem with that,” Meghan told The Cut in 2022, claiming that she would be unable to personally pick her kids up from school due to rampant public attention. “That doesn’t make me obsessed with privacy, that makes me a strong and good parent protecting my child.”
As for Harry, he was equally wary about the effects of overwhelming media interest in his family. (Harry filed a lawsuit in 2025 for enhanced security protections, which was ultimately shot down in court.)
“I can’t see a world in which I would bring my wife and children back to the U.K. at this point,” Harry told the BBC in May 2025 after losing his court appeal. “I love my country, I always have done, despite what some people in that country have done.”
While Harry found it “quite sad” that he might not be able to bring Archie and Lili to England safely, he still held out hopes for a reunion with his father and brother Prince William.
“I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore,” he stated at the time before acknowledging Charles’ cancer battle. “Life is precious. I don’t know how much longer my father has.”
Harry and Meghan were eventually able to bring Archie and Lili to visit Charles and wife Queen Camilla at their Highgrove House estate last month.
“[Charles and Camilla] wanted personal time with their grandchildren,” a source exclusively told Us in July. “They wanted it to be lighthearted and positive. The point of the meeting was to spend time with them, and that was the only thing on the agenda.”
Read the full article here






